David P. Celani, PhD
David P. Celani, PhD, is a licensed psychologist who practiced for more than twenty-five years in Burlington, Vermont. In treatment, he focused on his patients’ “attachment to bad objects”, which manifested through their inability to separate from parents, friends, or marital partners who demeaned, criticized, or abused them. Celani now presents continuing education workshops throughout the United States on Object Relations theory and on Fairbairn’s developmental model of the human psyche and object relationships, including the new structural model of psyche based on attachment to bad objects proposed by R. Fairbairn.
His books with Columbia University Press include Fairbairn’s Object Relations Theory in the Clinical Setting; The Illusion of Love: Why the Battered Woman Returns to Her Abuser, and Leaving Home: How to Separate From Your Difficult Family. He is currently working on his fifth book, on Ronald Fairbairn’s theoretical model and its modern application, which will be published by Routledge.
Dr. Celani has been teaching at ORI since 2020. His presentations, workshops and seminars at ORI include:
- 10/08/2023 Childhood Trauma and Psychological Development of a Mass Murderer Through the Lens of Fairbairn’s Object Relations Theory (with David P. Celani, PhD)
- 6/11/2023 An Object Relations Approach to Parent-Child Interactions That Impact the Child’s Emotional Development (with David P. Celani, PhD)
- 6/10/2023 An Object Relations Approach to Parent-Child Interactions That Impact the Child’s Emotional Development (with David P. Celani, PhD)
- 10/02/2022 Fairbairn’s Paradigm Shift to Developmental Model of Psychoanalysis as a Method and a Clinical Tool (with David Celani, PhD)
- 5/15/2022 Application of Fairbairn’s Structural Metaphors for Diagnosis and Treatment of Personality Disorders: Hysteric, Obsessive, Narcissistic, and Borderline (with Dr. David P. Celani)
- 9/26/2021 Childhood trauma and psychological development of a mass murderer through the lens of Fairbairn’s Object Relations theory (with David Celani, PhD)
- 10/08/2020-12/17/2020 Ronald Fairbairn’s Psychoanalytic Model of the Human Psyche and Its Clinical Applications